Tiger Stadium

Since 1895, Detroit was home to the Tiger Stadium. Though, it was never always known as this name. When it was first built by George Vanderbeck it was instead named Bennett Park. Since then, it has had one other name, until it was finally dubbed Tiger Stadium. As with any old ballpark, it has seen its fair share of wear and tear and it has gone through many makeovers in its time. In 1911 when Frank Navin took ownership, he commissioned for a more modern look, one of steel and concrete to be done. After this, the park was named Navin Field. It wasn’t until later when it was renamed to be Tiger Stadium.

Addison Green
Addison Green

When the last Tigers game was held in 1999, Tiger Stadium would be no more. With construction on a new ballpark, Comerica Park, already begun, this field would no longer be of any use to the Tigers. While many people tried to save the stadium, there was no hope for its past, the future would bring demolition. In 2009, the last part of the actual stadium fell to the ground. Now, with just the grassy field left, they need someone to care of it.

Addison Green is one of the self-appointed members of the Navin Field Grounds Crew. He spends most summer afternoons at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull, helping to mow the lawn, rebuilds the pitcher’s mound, pull weeds from the infield grass, and pick up trash. And he loves every minute of it. He loves being able to keep the history of Tiger Stadium alive for the city of Detroit.

Advertisements